When you join the team of Ascension Volunteers, you’re not just joining a group – you’re becoming part of our Ascension family! Our volunteers are a diverse group of dedicated people with a heart to serve others. When you walk through the front doors of an Ascension hospital, a volunteer is likely the first person you’ll see. Teachers, grandparents, college students, former nurses and therapists, bankers, business owners, empty nesters, retirees and more – our volunteers come from different backgrounds, but they are united by their compassionate spirits and dedication to our mission of service. Each person carries a unique set of life skills and experiences that bring warmth and kindness to our families, patients, and visitors.
Contagious smiles, comforting presences, huge hearts – our volunteers make each Ascension hospital feel like home. If you have a servant heart and desire to bring compassion to your community, the Ascension volunteer program is the place for you!
Volunteers serve inside the hospitals and in outpatient clinics throughout the area. They provide non-clinical support to our staff, freeing up our staff to spend more time with our patients. Volunteering is a great way to make new friends and make a difference all at once!
Volunteers commit to a 4 hour shift each week. Shifts are available 7 days each week. Due to the time and effort we put into screening, onboarding, and training new volunteers, we require a minimum 6 month commitment. Our volunteer program includes college students, retired adults, and adults who are still active in the workforce.
Due to the nature of our work there are a number of requirements that all Ascension Volunteers must meet. Please review the Immunization requirements and General requirements below before submitting your application.
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Must provide Social Security Number
- Complete Volunteer Application
- Meet volunteer immunization requirements (see below)
- Consent to Criminal Background Check
- Commit to 4 hours of service to each week
- Complete orientation and training; details will be forwarded to accepted applicants
- Ability to function independently with minimal supervision
- Urine Drug Screen (completed only at Ascension Occupational Health clinics)
All Ascension Texas volunteers must meet these immunization requirements:
- MMR – Measles, Mumps, Rubella
- Varicella – Chicken Pox (either history of disease or proof of vaccination)
- TB (tuberculosis) must be a TB blood draw QFT Gold or Tspot within 90 days of application submission
- Current season Flu shot is required
- TDAP within the last 10 years
- Covid-19 Vaccination
- Dell Children’s Medical Center (Austin)
- Dell Children’s Medical Center North (Round Rock)
- Dell Seton Medical Center (Austin)
- Ascension Providence (Waco)
- Ascension Seton Medical Center (Austin)
- Ascension Seton Northwest (Austin)
- Ascension Seton Hays (Kyle)
- Ascension Seton Shoal Creek (Austin)
- Ascension Seton Williamson (Round Rock)
Shadowing / Interships / Research
The Volunteer Office does not process anyone interested in shadowing, internship, or research opportunities.
- For shadowing or internship opportunities, CLICK HERE. Further inquiries may be directed to [email protected]
- For APRN/PA Clinical Rotation Request, APPLY HERE.
- For research opportunities, CLICK HERE.
- For Eucharist Ministry and No One Dies Alone (NODA) opportunities, please contact Chaplain Services at [email protected]
For additional questions, please contact the Director of Volunteers at the respective sites:
Dell Children’s Medical Center
Dell Children’s Medical Center North
Ascension Seton Southwest
Dell Seton Medical Center
Ascension Seton Medical Center Austin
Ascension Seton Smithville
Ascension Seton Bastrop
Ascension Seton Shoal Creek
Ascension Seton Hays
Ascension Seton Northwest
Ascension Seton Williamson